This beautiful stone mansion is called Glen Fern and was built in 1911 for Judge N.C. Sears from Chicago. Judge Sears originally arrived in the Lake Geneva area as a summer resident in 1894. Glen Fern remained in the family until 1934.
In the early days, the Chicago Cook County Court System had a rather questionable reputation. Upon Judge Sears’ arrival here, local newspapers noted the he was one of the few honest judges in Cook County. After his death, the estate was sold and partially subdivided, but the main house, caretaker’s cottage, and circular barn, all remain as private residences.